Who's Online

We have 65 guests online

Contact Us

Contact Zoompunjab





Punjab News Updates

Loading feeds...

Affordable Custom Logo Design

Perfect Facebook Like Box Sidebar


Designed by:
Other Cities PDF Print E-mail
Written by Administrator   
Saturday, 09 August 2008 16:46

 

Some Other Great Cities of Punjab

 

Khanna


Khanna, its satellite town is the Asia's biggest grain market. Qila Raipur on the outskirts of the town is famous for rural Olympics.

 

Drauli Bhai
The town of Drauli Bhai is sacred to the memory of the sixth Sikh Guru, Sri Guru Hargobind Singh Ji. Two important Gurudwaras, Kirtan Sohila, commemorating the death of Mata Damodari, the consort of Sri Guru Hargobind Ji and another marking the birth place of the Guru's eldest son Baba Gurditta are located here. There are some relics connected with Guruji, like the 'loh' a round disc of iron on which chappatis are baked, a wooden box of the time and 3 hand written documents which are on display at these holy places. Multi-National Swiss Business house 'NESTLE' manufactures a wide range of food specialties here, including the famous NESCAFE.

Gurdwara Nanaksar, Gurdwara Mehtiana, Gurdwara Ishardham on the bank of river Sutlej at Harike, Jain Temple at Zira are the religious places are the places of Tourist interest in this area besides Bagha Purana, Kotkpura, Faridkot and Ferozepur. Moreover one of the biggest bird sanctuaries is also situated towards Makhu.

How To Reach
Moga is connected with a direct train to Delhi and other parts of India.There is vast network of bus services of Punjab, Himachal, Delhi, Harayana, Pepsu, Chandigarh, U.P., Rajasthan State Roadways, apart from private operators. Important destinations include Delhi, Shimla, Chandigarh, Dehradun, Rishikesh, Kulu, Manali, Dharmshala, Dalhousie, Ganganagar and Vaishno Devi.

Distance From

Chandigarh - 160 Kms.
New Delhi -    380 Kms.

 

Nangal Nangal is on the Delhi Una line and there is a daily train "Himachal express" on this route.

Bhakra Dam, National Fertilizer Plant at Nangal, Gurdwara Sri Kes Garh Sahib and other historical Gurdwaras at Anandpur Sahib, Dashmesh Academy at Anandpur Sahib. Naina Devi shrine and Kiratpur sahib are the main attraction. There is a vast network of bus services of Punjab, Himachal, Delhi, Haryana, Pepsu, Chandigarh, Rajasthan State Roadways, apart from private operators. Important destinations include Delhi, Shimla, Chandigarh, Jammu, Naina Devi.

Distance From
Chandigarh - 110 Kms. New Delhi - 360 Kms.

 

Pathankot


Pathankot situated at the foot of hills and near the head of Bari Doab canal, is connected by rail and road with the rest of the country. It serves as a bridgehead between India and its State of Jammu and Kashmir. Pathankot has been the seat of Loi and Shawl weaving industry and lies at a point where the trade routes from the hills of Chamba, Nurpur and Kangra unite and enter the plains. A city with a population of 129198, Pathankot is spread over 22.10 Sq.Kms. Dalhousie, Dharamshala, Maclodgunj, Kangra Valley, Jwalaji, Chintpurni, are some of the various Hill Stations of Himachal Pradesh where you can go through Pathankot.

History Pathankot and its surrounding areas once formed part of the territories of Nurpur (now in Himachal Pardesh). The dynasty of Nurpur was established by Jatpal alias Rana Bhet, a Taur Rajput from Delhi, who settled at Pathankot and took possession of all the country in the foot of the hills. Rajputs shifted their capital to the modern town of Nurpur (renamed after Begum Nurjahan) towards the end of seventeenth century. A muslim descendant of the Rajas of Nurpur Sayed Khan ruled over this territory till 1781. Pathankot also figures in Ain-i-Akbari as the Pargana Headquarter. Some believe it was a settlement of Pathans during the madieval times. The famous historian Cunnigham says that name of Pathankot came into vogue from the word Pattan.

 

 

How To Reach
Pathankot is connected with direct trains to Delhi, Jammu and other cities of India. The important trains include Jammu Tawi-Mumbai Express, Pooja Express from Jammu-Jaipur. There is a vast network of bus services of Punjab, Himachal, Delhi, Haryana, Pepsu, Chandigarh, J&K apart from private operators. Important destinations include Delhi, Shimla, Chandigarh, Jammu, Dharamshala, Dalhousie and Amritsar.

Distance From:
Chandigarh - 269 kms.
New Delhi - 513 Kms.

 

 

Places of Interest

Malikpur, Asia's foremost Hydraulic Research Station at the Upper Bari Doab Canal.

 

Madhopur, known for its famous headworks on the river Rav

 

Shahpur Kandi, a place of unique beauty a little north of Madhopur. Close by is the newly constructed Thein or Ranjit Sagar Dam

 

Ropar


The small city of Ropar situated at a distance of 40 kms from Chandigarh on way to Anandpur Sahib. Ropar once called 'Rup Nagar' is situated near the Satluj between Nangal and Chandigarh. It occupies a prominent place not only in the ancient and medieval history of India but an equally conspicious place in the modern history also. It was here under a 'peepul' tree that a memorable meeting between Maharaja Ranjit Singh and Lord Williiam Bentick took place on October 31, 1831. The time worn old tree was uprooted in a storm a few years back. The relics excavated show that the town has flourished in the past with a very advanced civilization similar to the 'Harappa and Mohenjodaro' civilization. In addition a new industrial belt is coming up after crossing River Sutlej on Ropar-Nawan Shehar Road, where large number of industries such as Swaraj Mazda Ltd., DCM Engineering Works, Ranbaxy, Max India Ltd., Maxon India Ltd. and Montary India have been set up. There is also a Thermal Plant put up by Punjab State Electricity Board at Ropar. Besides cement plant has been set up by Ambuja Group of Industries near Thermal Plant at Ropar. It was here in 1874 that the famous Sirhind canal was channelised from the left side of the river Satluj.

Places of Interest

Gurdwara Sri Bhatha Sahib

 

Gurdwara Sri Pataal Puri Sahib

 

Gurdwara Sri Parivar Vichora

 

Gurudwara Katalgarh Sahib (Sri Chamkaur Sahib)

 

Gurdwara Keshgarh Sahib, Anandpur Sahib.

 

Mata Jyanti Devi Temple , Majrian.

 

Tomb of Hafiz Mussa Sahib, 10 kms. from Kurali, Dist. Ropar

 

Bharatgarh Fort

 

Guru Teg Bahadur Museum , Anandpur Sahib.

 

Sh. Dashmesh Academy , Anandpur Sahib

 

Bhakhra Nangal Dam

 

 

How To Reach
Ropar is connected by train to Delhi and Una via Nangal by Himachal Express.
There is vast network of bus services of Punjab, Himachal, Delhi, Haryana, Pepsu, Chandigarh, U.P., J&K, Rajasthan State Roadways, apart from private operators. Important destinations include Delhi, Shimla, Chandigarh, Dehradun, Rishikesh, Kulu, Manali, Dharmshala, Jammu, Naina Devi and Vaishno Devi.


Distance From
Chandigarh - 42 Kms. New Delhi - 290 Kms.

 

 

Sangrur


Sangrur, the splendid capital of the erstwhile Jind State is situated on Ludhiana-Jakhal Railway line and is well connected by road with Patiala, Ludhiana, Chandigarh and Bathinda.and nearly 80 km from Patiala

 

 

Places of Interest

Gurdwara 'Janam Asthan' at Cheema.

 

Temple of Godess Bhiwani at Bhiwanigarh

 

Gurdwara Mangi Sahib at Mulowal.

 

Jama Masjid Malerkotla.

 

Memorial of Shaheed Udham Singh at Sunam.

 

Fort at Badrukhan

 

Fort at Bagrrian.

 

Sheesh Mahal at Malerkotla.

 

Dsitrict Museum at Sangrur

 

Diwan Khana.

 

Marble 'Baradari'

 

Malerkotla

Malerkotla (Punjabi : ਮਲੇਰਕੋਟਲਾ, مالیرکوٹلہ ; Hindi: मलेरकोटला) is a city and a municipal council in Sangrur district in the Indian state ofPunjab. It was the seat of the eponymous princely state during the British Raj. The state acceded unto the union of India in 1947 and was merged with other nearby princely states to create the Patiala and East Punjab States' Union (PEPSU).

When that political entity was reorganised in 1956, the territories of the erstwhile state of Malerkotla became part of Punjab .

 

Gurdaspur


Gurdaspur, which is a border district of the state, has played a significant role in the defense of the country. The history of Gurdaspur bears many expressions. It has a tinge of medieval India, volumes of early Sikh history, mughal invasions, mughal empires, history of local people, religion, places and above all history of people migrated from all parts of the country who adapted to local environment and belonged there. Gurdaspur being a geographical link to the heavenly kingdoms of Kashmir, and beyond, conceals within the history of unknown soldiers and their families which settled there, history of the oppressed people who later became united to fight against to what they perceived the larger evil by that time and were called Sikhs, some old buildings and few faint reminders of English Raj, remains of an ancient India and above all history of a river which became two, Ravi & Beas, and gave road to the habitat which was later known as Gurdaspur--The land of the Master(the guru) and the disciple(das), the land of oneness. And of course, with all this it carries a living history of all cultures which metamorphosed into one, the culture against other areas of the country, the matchless culture of Gurdaspur. Batala and Dhariwal are important industrial centers known respectively for the manufacture of machine tools and woolen products. Dera Baba Nanak and Sri Hagobindpur have great religious sanctity and Pathankot - a great tourist transit center has a number of picnic spots nearby.

Places of Interest

Site Excavation at village named 'Ucha Pind Sanghol'.

 

Archeological Museum at Sanghol (district Ludhiana)

 

 

Dinanagar A dinanagar now known as Dinanagar is situated on Amritsar-Pathankot road, about 13 Kms. to the north of District Headquarter town of Gurdaspur. It was founded by Adina Beg Khan in 1730 AD (1752 AD according to Dr.Hari Ram Gupta). Adina Beg rose from ranks to be the Governor of Punjab in April, 1758 with the help of Marathas. He died on September, 1758. Adinanagar and its surrounding areas witnessed many a battles between Kanheya and Ramgarhia Misals. Maharaja Ranjit Singh became the master of entire upper Bari Doab in 1811.

 

Maharaja Ranjit Singh built a number of buildings at Adinanagar based on Mughal and European architecture and he used to spend most of his summer in this town surrounded by mango, graves and thick forests. Adinanagar was made the district headquarters of newly carved district of Adinanagar after the annexation of Punjab in 1849. Swami Sawtantra Nand founded Dayanand Math in 1938 - an institution which became a centre of learning and Ayurveda. In the course of time Adinanagar has been known for its Loi, Shawl and wood industries. A number of conduit pipe manufacturing units have been set up here after 1947. Dina Nagar is spread over 14.36 sq.km. area & has population 16968 according to 1991 census.

 

Batala


An ancient town replete with temples, gurudwaras connected with the marriage of Guru Nanak Dev, seat of Christian Mission, situated on the Amritsar-Pathankot road. Batala, the largest town of Gurdaspur district was founded about the year 1465 AD, during the reign of Behlol Lodhi, by Raja Ram Deo, a Bhati Rajput, on a piece of land granted to him by Tatar Khan, Governor of Lahore. Akbar gave it in Jagir to Shamsher Khan, his foster brother, who greatly improved and beautified the town and built a magnificent tank, which still exists. Batala was held by Kanheya and Ramgarhia (sikh confederacies). Sher Singh, son of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, built a number of buildings at Batala. After the annexation of the Punjab, Batala was made headquarters of the district (subsequently transferred to Gurdaspur).

 

The principal manufacturers of the town have been cotton cloth and 'snsi' - a combination of silk and cotton. Batala became the centre of number of iron manufacturing units when ironsmiths of Sialkot shifted here in large numbers. According to 1991 census, Batala has 103367 population and is spread over 8.75 sq.km. area.

Sri Hargobindpura Sri Hargobindpur is about 41 Kms. from Gurdaspur and 60 Kms. from Amritsar. It is situated on the high bank of river Beas. The town was founded by Guru Arjun Dev, the fifth Sikh Guru after the birth of his son and successor Shri Hargobind. It was then known as Gobindpur. Guru Hargobind won a fierce battle at Rohilia near this place in 1621 against the Mughal armies led by Abdullah, the Faujdar of Jalandhar. At the place where Guru Sahib took rest during the battle, a Gurudwara known as Damdama Sahib has been constructed. The trade of the town was once considerable cotton and sugar was sent to other towns through the ferry at Sri Hargobindpur. But the trade has fallen since the introduction of railway communications. A long bridge constructed over river Beas connects this town with the districts Hoshiarpur and Jullundhar. It's population is 1461 according to 1991 census.

Dera Baba Nanak Dera Baba Nanak, one of the most sacred places of the Sikhs, is situated on the banks of river Ravi. It is 13 miles North-West of Batala and 22 miles from the district headquarter town Gurdaspur on the border of Pakistan. Sri Guru Nanak DevJi, the founder of Sikhism spent about 12 years of his later life at this place and died near the village Pakhoke, opposite to the present town and named it Kartarpur. His descendants, the Bedis, continued to reside upon the same spot, until the encroaching river swept away the village. Bedis built a new town and named it Dera Baba Nanak after their great ancestor. The town has a number of Sikh temples. Pilgrims come to this holy town in large numbers, also thousands of pilgrims visit this place on the eve of Maghi in the second week of January every year from all over the country. Precious robes, which were presented to him when he visited Mecca, are preserved here. Close by is Gurudwara Tahli Sahib. The town at present has a population of 7380 and was made the headquarter of newly created Sub-division of Dera Baba Nanak.

KahnuwanKahnuwan was founded by Kahna, a Rajput of the Nur clan. When Sher Shah Suri conquered the Punjab, he settled a body of Afghans from Roh at Kahnuwan and in the adjoining district of Hoshiarpur. On the rise of Mughal dynasty, this Pathan colony gave rise to good deal of trouble, and to overcome them Akbar placed Salho, a Harchand Rajput incharge of this part of the country. The Harchands eventually drove out the Pathans and established themselves firmly at Kahnuwan. Kahnuwan has always been a great sporting resort, and numerous ancient buildings testify the antiquity of the town. Mughals made it a Pargana Headquarters. Situated at a distance of 18 Kms. from Gurdaspur this small town is inhabited by 6969 people.

Sujanpur The town Sujanpur is situated in the foot hills and forms part of Pathankot tehsil. The Bari Doab canal runs close to it. Sardar Amar Singh Bagga, a Sikh Sardar of Dharamkot, took this taaluqa from Sujanpur. Sujanpur was mostly inhabited by Kashmiris engaged in making shawls during pre-partition days. It has also served as a local collection centre for rice, turmeric and other products of the hills, below which it lies. Its population according to the census of 1991 is 16090 and covers an area of 0.31 Sq.Kms.

Kalanaur Akbar was proclaimed the Emperor of Hindustan (India) here on February 14, 1556 A.D. The coronation ceremony was performed on a masonary platform, now known as 'Takhat-i-Akbari.' Kalanaur, situated on the rivulet Kiran, a tributary of Ravi is an ancient town of the region of Gurdaspur. Sayed Muhammad Latiff attributes its findings to the Nur tribes of Rajputs, who migrated from Deccan into Punjab in early times. But it is believed that the word Naur is a corruption of Nagar, and the name was originally Kalanagar, after the celebrated temple of Kaleshwar Shivji, which stands on the old citadel close to Kiran. Kalanaur was plundered twice by Jasrath Ghakker (Khokhers) during the early 15th century and one of his strongholds. Akbar was enthroned here on his succession in 1556, and a masonry platform, which still exists about a mile to the east of the town was built to commemorate this event. During the reign of Akbar, Kalanaur attained its greatest splendour. The town lost its importance with the passage of time and most of its buildings disappeared because of the overflowing waters of Kiran and chaos and anarchy which followed the decline of Mughal empire. Banda Bahadur, the famous Sikh warrior plundered the town and spent some of his time here. The famous Shiva's temple is visited by thousands on the day of Shivratri. Kalanaur has been declared a notified area and has a population of 13062.

 

Dhariwal One of India's leading Textile Mill, world-renowned for the manufacture of woollen cloth is located here. Dhariwal, a small town of District Gurdaspur was known as Kacha Dhariwal in the begining of the twentieth century. Dhariwal derives its name from the village Dhariwal situated very close to the present town. It was a small settlement of a clan of Jats engaged mainly in agriculture. Mr. Egerton, a Christian missionary established Egerton Woolen Mills in 1882 on the banks of a branch of Upper Bari Doab canal. Upper Bari Doab canal was dug out in 1855 to irrigate the Districts of Gurdaspur and Amritsar. The small village since 1882 has grown into a small town. Dhariwal, situated on Amritsar - Pathankot road is known for its woollen products. Its population is 14214.

 

Qadian

Qadian, main center of Muslim fraternity called Ahmadiya, after the name of its founder. It is venerated as second Mecca. Besides the Ahmadiya mosque there is a beautiful tomb of the founder. At this center Ahmadiyas from all over the world gather for their annual congregation during the last week of the year.

 

 

 

Places of Interest

A temple of 'Lord Shiva at Pathankot.

 

Gurdwara Kandh Sahib at Batala.

 

Doong Caves .

 

Muslim Tombs, not far from the town of Pathankot.

 

How to Reach

Madhopur falls on the Delhi-Jammu railway line and important trains which stop here include Jammu Mail and Chennai Mail.

There is a vast network of bus services of Punjab, Himachal, Haryana, Pepsu, Chandigarh, J&K and apart from private operators. Important destinations include Shimla, Chandigarh, Jammu, Dharamshala, Dalhousie and Amritsar.

 

Hoshiarpur


Hoshiarpur is 45 kms. from Jalandhar by road. The Vedic Research Institute (V.V.R.I.) situated at a distance of 4 kms. from the town publishes books on lndology and Vedic scriptures and houses the Punjab Govt. Archaeological Museum. The town is known for manufacture of wooden toys, in-lay and lacquer finished furniture and musical instruments such as Harmonium, Tabla, Sitar etc.

 

 

Dholbaha Local tradition associates this place with the legendary Dhol. number of amalakas, buried walls, plinths, temple plans, idols such as a head of Vishnu, reclining Ganesha, Shiva Parvati, female figures or couples on architectural members and a statue depicting four Jina images seated back to back were found here. The site is lost in Dholbaha dam. Sculptures and artifacts found here are now exhibited in the Archaeological Museum at the V.V.R.I. The rare relics collected from here are of an astonishing variety. They are also in good shape.

 

How to Reach There is a vast network of bus services of Punjab, Himachal, Delhi, Haryana, Pepsu, Chandigarh, Rajasthan State Roadways, apart from private operators. Chintpurni, Jwalaji, Kangra Valley, Dharamshala, Maclodgunj, Dalhousie are some of the various Hill Stations of Himachal Pradesh where you can go to through Hoshiarpur.

Distance From Chandigarh -136 Kms. New Delhi -346 Kms.

 

Places of Interest

A tomb of Sant Jamal,Dating back to 1250AD

 

Mufti Mosque and Kazi Mosque.

 

Sheesh Mahal

 

Main Bazar Hoshiarpur

 

 

Nawanshahar


Nawanshahr (Punjabi : ਨਵਾਂਸ਼ਹਿਰ, Hindi: नवांशहर) is a city and a municipal council in Shahid Bhagat Singh Nagar district in the Indian stateof Punjab. It is the headquarters of Shahid Bhagat Singh Nagar District.

It is said to have been built during the reign of Alauddin Khilji (1295-1316) by his Afghan Military Chief Nausher Khan. Previously it was called "Nausar" but with the passage of time, the town came to be known as "Nawanshahr". Nausher Khan had constructed five forts known as Havelis, whose remains still exist.

On September 27, 2008 in Khatkar Kalan 7 kilometres from Nawanshar, for honoring freedom fighter Bhagat Singh, the Punjab government announced that a district in the state will be named after him. The announcement was made by Punjab Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal at a function ancestral village of the martyr to mark his 101st birth anniversary. Nawanshahr district would be renamed as Shahid Bhagat Singh Nagar.

 

 

Mansa


Mansa is a city and a municipal council in Mansa district in the Indian state of Punjab. It is the administrative headquarters of Mansa district.

The population is Punjabi-speaking and is wedded to the culture of the Malwa belt of Punjab.

The district has an area of 2174 km² and a population of 688,630 (2001 census), with a population density of 317 persons per km². The district is roughly triangular in shape, and is bounded on the northwest by Bathinda District, on North by Barnala District on the northeast by Sangrur District, and on the south by Haryana state. The district is divided into three tehsils, Budhlada, Mansa, and Sardulgarh. TheGhaggar River flows through Sardulgarh tehsil and Bhakhda river near Jhunir in the southwestern corner of the district. It is situated on the rail line between Bathinda-Jind-Delhi section and also situated on Barnala-Sardulgarh-Sirsa Road.

 

Fatehgarh Sahib


The city is an historically important town north of Patiala, especially for the Sikh faith. Gurudwara Fatehgarh Sahib, marks the site of the live entombment of the two younger sons,Sahibzada Fateh Singh and Sahibzada Zorawar Singh of the tenth Guru of the Sikhs, Sri Guru Gobind Singh on 12 December 1705, by the Governor of Sirhind, Wazir Khan [1], the place is the today commemorated by Gurdwara Fatehgarh Sahib, 5 km (3 miles) north of the Sirhind. [2]

It is named Fatehgarh, meaning Town of Victory, because in 1710 Sikhs under the leadership of Banda Bahadur overran the area and razed the fort (built during Balban's rule) to the ground.

Gurudwara Jyoti Sarup Sahib is about 1 km from Fatehgarh Sahib on Sirhind- Chandigarh road. It was at this place that the mortal remains of Mata Gujri, the mother of Guru Gobind Singh and his two younger sons, Sahibzada Fateh Singh and Sahibzada Zorawar Singh were cremated. Wazir Khan, the then Faujdar of Sirhind refused to allow the cremation of the bodies unless the land for the cremation was purchased by laying gold coins on it. Todar Mal, who was an ardent devotee of Guru Gobind Singh, purchased this place of land by offering gold coins as demanded. And thus etched his name in the annals of Sikh history and earned the salutation of Deewan.

 

Distance From Chandigarh - 66.86 Kms. New Delhi -   259 Kms.

 

Anandpur Sahib


Situated on the left bank of the river Sutlej at a distance of about 41 kms. from Ropar on the Chandigarh - Nangal Road, Anandpur Sahib, the abode of peace with its numerous Gurudwaras stands out in picturesque relief against the Naina Devi mountain range. An important pilgrimage site, it was here that Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth Guru created the 'Khalsa' or 'the pure ones' by baptizing them. Anandpur Sahib is one of the seats of the five Sikh takhts or thrones. Sikhs from all over India visit this holy site especially on the occasion of 'Holla Mohalla' which coincides with the last day of Holi and marks the festival's finale) to practice the guru's edicts. Rich or poor, they serve in the langars, perform seva (service) by cleaning the gurudwara, its surroundings and the shoes of the pilgrims and above all, reaffirm their faith in their religion. The festival of Hola Mohalla celebrated here is renowned worldwide for the splendor of martial display exhibited by the Nihangs.

 

Places of Interest

Takht Kesgarh Sahib-The Khalsa was born here

 

Gurudwara Anandgarh Sahib Fort and residence of Guru Gobind Singh ji with remarkable paved well.

 

Gurdwara Damdama Sahib place of coronation of Guru Gobind Singh ji

 

Takht Shri Kesgarh Sahib.

 

Memorial of Shaheed Udham Singh at Sunam.

 

 



Jaito

'Jaitu Ka Morcha' at a distance of about 30km from Faridkot is a well-known event of the freedom struggle. The Gurudwara, center of an annual fair, celebrates the victory that the Akali volunteers had won over the British in 1923 against govt. interference in Akhand Path, continued recitation of the Sikh Scripture. The peaceful agitation became a watershed in India's freedom struggle. Pandit Nehru had courted arrest here.

 

Phagwara

Phagwara is a city and a municipal council in Kapurthala district in North India, in the central part of the Punjab.

Phagwara lies on the Delhi –Amritsar national highway No.01 and is also served by the rail link between Delhi and Amritsar . It is located between the two big cities of Ludhiana and Jalandhar . Phagwara is 76 miles away from Chandigarh and 220 miles (355 km) from Delhi. Phagwara is a junction, with rail and road links to other cities as well. Most major trains stop here, e.g. the Shatabdi Express .

Goraya

Goraya is a town in Jalandhar District in the Indian state of Punjab.

It is present on G. T. Road NH-1, which connects Amritsar and Delhi and lies between Jalandhar and Ludhiana. It comes under thePhillaur Tehsil and is known for its industry.

Aother satellite town Goraya produces fodder chopping machines of all types-called toka in Indian languages. Goraya is known as the toka town of India. Now it is famous for manufacturing harvesting combines and axles of all kinds.

 

Moga


 

Moga (Punjabi : ਮੋਗਾ) is a city and a municipality in Moga district in the Indian state of Punjab.Also known as NRI City of Punjab.

It became part and headquarter of 17th District in the state, Moga district of Punjab State on 24th day of November 1995, by then Chief Minister Harcharan Singh Brar. Before this, Moga was a part of Faridkot District as a tehsil. Moga town is situated on the National Highway 95 (NH-95 Ferozpur-Ludhiana road). The area of Dharamkot block with 150 villages has been merged into Moga district, which falls under the jurisdiction of Ferozpur division.

 

 

 

Places of Interest

Geeta Bhavan

 

Gurudwara Mehdeyana Sahib

 

Snatan Dharam Mandir

 

Nestle India

 

Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 December 2013 17:18